VWF 5008 Successful Budget Management Course Outline
Intended Audience and brief background
This 1 day course is aimed at Service Heads and Budget Holders from all public sector bodies.
It gets them to understand that it is their responsibility (not their finance team’s) to deliver their services to agreed levels of performance within budget and other constraints.
This course gives them a thorough understanding of how to work effectively with others to ensure these responsibilities are fulfilled and that all the activities that they need to undertake within the annual budgeting and financial cycle are completed efficiently and effectively.
Objectives of the course and format
By the end of the training, delegates will understand:-
· The legal and financial context that Central Government / Local Government / NHS bodies operate within
· That the Budget Holder is accountable for their budget and for discharging all responsibilities associated with that budget
· The full extent of activities that need to be performed within an annual budgeting cycle and the importance of managing those activities
· What a budget is and how to produce a budget effectively
· How to manage income and expenditure against a budget including analysing variances and forecasting the full year position
· The importance of adopting a “corporate” attitude to budget management rather than seeing a budget in isolation
· How to work effectively with your finance team and others to fulfil your responsibilities whilst continuing to deliver high quality services
This course is an interactive, highly practical course focusing on current requirements and reflecting the large range of issues that senior staff in Government organisations currently face. There will be a mixture of presentation, discussion and case studies providing Delegates with the opportunity to relate the course content to their own circumstances.
The delegate will return to the work base with an action plan to apply themselves to budget management in a more proactive and positive fashion.
A working folder will be provided for use as a reference document in the workplace and for distribution internally where appropriate.
The programme will be delivered in a single day usually running from 9.30 through to 4.30 with a break for Lunch and twice for Coffee/Tea.
The programme will cover the areas listed above but will be flexible enough to accommodate any topics which are of particular importance to the organisation
A full day’s programme will accompany your joining instructions
The course can be tailored very easily to a specific Central Government, Local Government or NHS body – typically we would then include a business simulation to illustrate how to manage budgets within the complexities of the specific environment of the Delegates.
This course can also be adapted to a half day course if necessary.